Monday, January 4, 2010

First Post for the Travelling Cameras!


Found in the home waste basket today: Two Halloween themed disposable 27 shot 35 mm 800 ISO cameras that I didn't even know were in the house. Expiration date: 2005! Clearly a non camera person didn't understand the charm of shooting with expired film. Especially if they're named Evil Eye cameras! Come on, what was she thinking?

Now that I have rescued them... what to do, what to do... 54 shots... what to do?

Here's what I came up with, with a little help: Find people across the country to take a single shot with the camera and pass it on to the next person in another state. I'm proposing two themes, but it's really up to the shooter what they shoot. The first theme is Local Color. Take a photo of a local dive diner or bar. Think Guy Fieri's Diners Drive-ins and Dives. The more colorful the better. With any luck the expired film will add some craziness to the final images. The second theme is State Nicknames. Take a photo of something that represents your state nickname. If you like, take a pic of you holding the camera with your digital camera send it to me, (near your chosen site?) and we can track the camera across the country.

If you know me at all, you know this is all seat of the pants. I'll work out the logistics as time passes. Basically, I plan to send the cameras out to the first folks that say they're willing to do the shoot, and then they'll mail the camera to the next person in line.
Saying you're interested is basically committing to spend a little bit of time doing the shoot and a few dollars to mail the camera on to the next person. If you're not willing to do that, please, don't sign up! If you are, Send me an email Add your state name to the subject line. Tell me if you want to be an Owl or a Bat and your mailing address in the email. It's first come first serve, one for each state. Don't delay!

After the last shots are taken the last person in line will send the camera back to me so I can get the film developed, scanned and put on line. It looks like there will be two teams, the owls and the bats. A few people have told me they don't think the cameras will ever make it back to me for the final developing and posting to the blog. I suppose that's possible, but like Scarlett O'Hara I've always relied on the kindness of strangers.
I already have a commitment from Mississippi, the first member of the Owls! Who is up for this?

10 comments:

  1. I see you're using my idea too :). Guess I'll shoot DE for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said it should be a photo of something that relates to the state nickname...not represents it....you can get very creative with something that relates to the nickname and have people guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blanche Deveraux from Street Car Named Desire relied on that kindness. Wish I could be in on it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would be honored to do Louisiana for you Dave. We are moving back there in a few weeks. Sending you an email now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saundra
    I totally missed all these comments because I didn't turn comment moderation on! Contact me by email and lets work something out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in for Oregon! I will email you my address right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool project! I love anything that involves photography and traveling!
    http://travelingtoycameraproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete